Treat your guests to a taste of the Nigerian with our beans and fried plantain (dodo) recipe paired with smoked chicken stew. It has all the aromatic flavour of a traditional dinner This Nigerian-inspired beans dish is the perfect meal for a delicious cosy night in with family and friends.
Ingredients – Smoked chicken stew
- Smoked chicken (desired quantity)
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 1 big onion and 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- Curry powder
- Minced garlic and ginger
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi, Knorr, etc.)
- Mint leaves
- Fresh hot peppers
- Salt to taste
Tip: the smokiness of the chicken adds a local authentic African flavour to the stew.
Method – Smoked chicken stew
- Shred smoked chicken, rinse off dirt and get it moist with about 2 cups of warm water. In the water, season the chicken with thyme, curry, Maggi, ginger and garlic. Set aside to allow the seasoning to soak in.
- Roughly blend tomatoes with onion and the fresh peppers.
- In a cooking pot or deep frying pan, heat up oil, add the sliced onion and stir-fry until translucent.
- Add the blended tomato mixture and fry until the oil has floated to the top. Stir in curry, add seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Add the smoked chicken with the water mixture from the seasoning – stir and combine. Taste for Salt and Seasoning, adjust if necessary. Reduce heat and cook for about 15 minutes until the stew/sauce has thickened and chicken is tender. Add the mint leaves and turn off heat.
Ingredients – Beans and fried plantain
- Black eyed beans or Brown beans (desired quantity)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Palm oil (enough to colour)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crayfish *optional
- Seasoning (Maggi or Knorr)
- Ripped plantains
- Vegetable oil for frying
Method – Beans and fried plantain
- Wash and soak the beans in cold water for 1 hour. Boil the beans for 5 minutes and discard the water. Then put the beans in a cooking pot and pour water up to the level of the beans and start cooking. Cook until they are soft and pulpy. Add more water from time to time, if needed.
- When the beans if cooked soft (make sure the water is below the beans), this allows it to make beans porridge. Add palm oil, stir sliced onion, garlic, and ginger. Add seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Also add crayfish (if using it).
- Stir it well to mix all ingredients. Cover pot and allow to cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Peel the plantains, and cut into diagonal pieces. Season with a bit of salt. Heat oil and when it is hot, fry the plantain in batches. Toss them to ensure both sides are evenly fried. When they are all brown, remove and drain in kitchen paper to reduce excess oil. Serve.
- Serve beans and smoked chicken stew with dodo, bread, and garri. Perfect for family or friends. There’s something for everyone!
See more Food recipes