Enjoy this Haitian chicken recipe from us with friends. Use tender chicken varieties shin for more flavour in this delicious slow cooker. Add more chilli flakes if you want to up the spice and for the best flavours. Serve this fresh yummy Haitian stewed chicken recipe (poulet creole) with cauliflower rice for a low-carb alternative. Add this beautiful quick and easy recipe to your dinner recipes.
- Pieces of chicken thighs
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- Grated ginger
- Scotch bonnet pepper
- 1 tbsp of lime juice
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- Seasoning cubes; Maggi/Knorr
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Roughly blend the garlic, parsley, thyme, lime, onion, scotch bonnet with little water. Marinate chicken with the blended mixture and seasoning salt.
- Wash the chicken and clean with lemon or sour orange juice. Rinse in hot water.
- Season the chicken with the marinade and let it marinade at least 1 hour. OR preferably marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator for extra flavour and tenderness.
- In a large saucepan or wok, stir-fry the chicken till it browns on both sides. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add a half cup of water or coconut oil to the sauce pan along with the tomato paste, onions, and chilli pepper.
- Return chicken to pot – bring to the boil and reduce heat allowing the chicken to simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender
- Taste for salt and adjust for spices and seasoning, if necessary.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer until it is ready to serve.
See more Food recipes