This Mexican fruit drink, mangonada, is perfect for cooling off on sunny days. Wonderfully aromatic, mangonada is made with mangos combined with fresh lime juice and chamoy sauce, then topped up with mango, tajin and tamarind straw. But you can always put your own twist to this classic drink. Try a new twist on mangonada with this step-by-step recipe guide.
for 3 servings
- 6 fresh mangoes
- 1 cup frozen mangoes
- 3 tsp chamoy sauce
- 3 cups ice
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 shots tequila or rum (optional)
- Sprinkles of tajin, to taste
- Tamarind straws, for garnish
- Mango wedges, for garnish
- Squeeze your fresh limes and remove any seeds. Peel and slice fresh mangos.
- In a food processor or blender, combine lime juice, mangoes, ice, and sugar and blend until pureed smooth. Blend in tequila or rum, if using. Blend in additional mango or ice until desired consistency is achieved.
- For serving, fill glasses/cups with the blended mixture.
- Top with tablespoons of chamoy sauce and sprinkle of tajin.
- Garnish each glass with a tamarind straw and mango chunks, if using, and a spoon.
Alternatively, mangonada can be made with a bag of frozen mangos. But you can always combine fresh mangos and a bag of frozen mangos if you prefer a thicker consistency. And if you would like it less thick, you can always add more ice. For a slushy mangonada, transfer blended mixture to the freezer until it reaches the consistency of a slushy.
See more Drink recipes