Oxtail/cow tail peppersoup is a very delightful meal that is ideal for braising in a slow cooker – amped up with a few Nigerian local spicing ingredients to give that rich flavours which African cuisines are known for. Here’s the recipe on how to make the oxtail pepper soup – Nigerian cow tail peppersoup recipe. Can be eaten alone and paired with boiled rice or yam.
- 1.5 kg oxtail (excess fat removed)
- 3 fresh hot peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 big onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 piece ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Ground crayfish (optional)
- Mint/scent leaves
- 2 tablespoons, Nigerian pepper soup spice mix
- 2 seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- Salt to taste
- *Nigerian local spice seeds 2 ehuru seeds (toasted, and finely ground).
- 2 uda pods (toasted, and roughly crushed)
- Wash meat and fish thoroughly. Use warm water and salt to get off the slime. Get rid of excess fat and unwanted bits.
- Place the oxtail in a large cooking pot – season with ginger, garlic, onion, thyme, seasoning cubes and salt.
- Cover pot, place on low heat and leave to simmer without water for about 10 minutes. This allows the meat to release its natural juices and flavour.
- Add the seasoning cubes, ground ehu seeds and the ingredients and cook till meat is done.
- Add peppers and scent leaves or mint.
- Cover the pot and allow to simmer for extra 5 minutes and your oxtail pepper soup is ready.
- Serve hot. Pair with any side dish of choice.
See more Food recipes