This groundnut soup (peanut soup) recipe with thick-creamy much peanut mash is an indulgent yet healthier weeknight dinner. This meal is packed full with assorted meat and fish, and local spicy ingredients to add earthy richness to this comforting African dish. Some people also call this peanut butter soup. Now add this to your homemade recipes dinner list. Perfect with fufu!
You should also check out Okra Soup Recipe
- 500g raw peeled groundnuts (peanuts)
- Assorted meat and fish (beef, fresh fish, dry fish, kpomo, turkey)
- Palm Oil
- A small bunch of Pumpkin leaves
- Spinach or Bitterleaf
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- Knorr/Maggi seasoning
- Salt & ground dry pepper (to taste)
- Wash and cut the pumpkin or the spinach leaves into tiny pieces. If using bitterleaf: wash till the bitterness is fairly out & set aside.
- Start cooking the meat first. Always keep water to the same level as the contents of the pot and top it up as you cook. Clean the fish, remove the bones and separate them into small pieces. When the hard meat are almost done, add seasoning cubes and cook till all the meat and fish are well done.
- Add the crayfish, salt and pepper, cover and cook till it boils. Transfer the meat and fish to another pot/container leaving the stock in the pot.
- Transfer the meat and fish to a bowl leaving the stock in the pot.
- Add the ground groundnuts and stir very well till there are no lumps. Reduce the heat to very low and start cooking. Stir every 5 minutes and top up the water if necessary. This could burn easily, so watch it closely and stir as often as possible.
- Cook till a peanut oil appears on the surface. This should take roughly about 15 minutes. Add palm oil and stir very well.
- Add the beef and fish, stir and cook on low heat till it boils. Prefer your groundnut soup without vegetables? The soup is ready at this time. If you prefer it with vegetables then go to next step.
- Add the vegetables, stir and leave to simmer. Stir again and it is done. Enjoy!
You should also try Easy Ogbono Soup Recipe