Zobo drink is a Nigerian traditional healthy drink made from hibiscus flowers – dried roselle / zobo leaves (hibiscus sabdariffa). This health boosting hibiscus drink has powerful antioxidant properties, excellent for nutritional and health benefits as it is packed with vitamins and minerals. Studies have shown that the properties in zobo drink have great health benefits; they serve as anti-inflammatory as well as protecting the body from oxidative damages. A healthy alternative to soda, known in the Caribbean as sorrel drink, and also known as hibiscus tea in various parts of the world. Follow our step-by-step prep guide to learn how to make your own zobo drink recipe. Serve this sweet tropical drink alongside your favourite savoury snacks.
for 10 glasses
- 1 ½ cups of dry zobo leaves
- 10 cups of water
- 1 garlic glove, crushed
- Fresh ginger root, mashed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 orange peel
- 2 tablespoons honey, or sweetener of choice
- Thoroughly wash zobo leaves repeatedly to get rid of dusts and whatnot. Drain and set aside. Crush garlic and ginger, set aside.
- In a large cooking pot, add in the washed zobo leaves, ginger, garlic, cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Add 11 cups of water and bring to boil on a medium heat for about 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to steep until cool.
- Strain juice through a fine strainer to remove all the pieces.
- Place in the refrigerator and chill until ready to serve, or overnight.
- Serve over ice, with sliced citrus of choice.
Note: If you like your zobo drink stronger, be sure to add more zobo leaves.
See more Drink recipes
Have a recipe of your own to share? Submit your recipe here.