World classic whole chicken grilling recipe. Using a great homemade sauce and slow-cook grill a whole chicken for the juiciest results. I used a sweet and spicy honey jalapeno rub to marinade. Feel free to use your preferred marinade rub of mustard, or jazz up the ones you have at home – hot sauce, jalapeno, or red chilies, and honey can be added to marinade to give desired flavours.
See more Food recipes
- 1 whole chicken, back bone cut out and the breast bone pressed to flatten. (There are numerous videos and pictures online to walk you through removing the back bone)
- 1 fresh lemon (juice)
- Honey mustard
- Grated garlic and ginger
- Olive oil
- Hot pepper
- Chopped mint/scent leaves
- Remove any innards from the chicken and get started with spicing. You can use kitchen shears and a boning or utility knife. (There are numerous videos and pictures online to walk you through removing the back bone).
- In a bowl, squeeze the fresh lemon to juice, mix together with the honey mustard, garlic, ginger, mint leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Add on the chicken, and rub it with the olive oil mixture on both sides, and inside the cuts and openings. Put in the fridge and allow to marinate for at least 5 hours, or overnight.
- Allow the chicken to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes to 1 hour before grilling.
- Set your oven to 200C/400F. Set up grill for indirect grilling. For a charcoal grill, move the hot coals to one side of the grate. For a gas grill, heat one side of the grill to high while the other side remains off.
- Once heated, place the chicken on grill and cook on medium-heat, cook the chicken skin side down, and weight the chicken down with aluminum foil bricks, or in baking dish together with the marinade. Cover and grill for about 20 minutes. Flip sides every 20 minutes until all sides and whole chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Remove the chicken from the heat, and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Carve, and serve with the grilled lemons.
Tip: for an extra flavourful twist to this recipe. Cut lemons in half, and grill them during the last few minutes of grilling/cooking the chicken. The heat cooks out all the sourness of the lemon. Turns the lemon into an amazing, concentrated lemon sauce!