Try this super speedy easy egg biryani for a fuss-free meal that’s ready in under half an hour. This classic Indian rice dish is bursting with fresh flavours and loaded with boiled eggs and traditional spices. Biryani is perfect for feasting with whole family and makes a great midweek meal!
for 6 servings
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 12 eggs
- Half kilo shrimp
- 1 large onion, chopped and divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 ginger, peeled and minced
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cardamom seeds, removed from pods
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, adjust to taste
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- Mint leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Soak the rice in cold water for about 20 to 30 minutes, drain water and set rice aside.
- Boil eggs and remove shells, clean with cold water, and set eggs aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add cardamom seeds, cinnamon sick, cloves, and the sliced onions and fry until browned.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- Then add the diced tomatoes and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix shrimp with the ground/powder spices (black pepper, cumin, turmeric, coriander, paprika and nutmeg).
- Stir in the marinated shrimp to the pot, cover pot and for about 6 minutes. This allows the shrimp for more flavour.
- Now add the drained rice to the pot, add 1 cup water, stir the rice and everything together and allow to cook on high heat for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, place the peeled eggs back into the rice and mix well. Squeeze the lemon juice over rice.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pan for 5 minutes to allow the rice to finish cooking in the steam until all the water is absorbed and the rice and all mixes are heated throughout.
- Garnish with the eggs and mint. Serve immediately.
See more Food recipes