Have tried any Nigerian homemade recipes? Well you can start with the popular peppered snails – can be served a side dish or used as sauce to serve white rice, boiled yam or plantain. Peppered snails is rich with earthy aromatic flavours. Snail is a highly nutritional seafood containing calcium, potassium, protein, carbohydrates and vitamins. Read on to learn how the delicious peppered snails dinner recipe. Enjoy!
- Snail in desired quantity
- Dried fish
- Fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Hot peppers/scotch bonnet (or your preference)
- Vegetable Oil
- Minced garlic
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi or Knorr)
- Curry power
- Boiled eggs
- Salt to taste
Tip: Break the shells of the snails and clean – wash the snails with lime and salt till all the slime is gone.
- Cook the cleaned snails with little water. Season with sliced onion, pinch of salt, minced garlic, thyme and Seasoning. Allow to cook for about 30 minutes till the snails are thoroughly done.
- Roughly blend the peppers together with tomatoes and onion.
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan or deep pot. Add sliced onion and fry for about 2 minutes. Add the blended mixture and fry together. Stir in curry, seasoning cubes and salt to taste. Combine thoroughly and leave to simmer-fry for 10 minutes. Stir regularly to prevent burning.
- Then turn the heat down to medium, add the cooked snails, dried fish and boiled eggs. Stir and combine, then leave to cook-fry for a further 10 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Your peppered snails is ready. Serve with freshly coiled white rice. Or pasta, plantain, yam or potatoes. Enjoy!
See more Food recipes