These crispy crunchy goodies are full of flavours, and packed with protein power. Makes a great start to the day, or lunch one the go. A satisfying comfort food, and the ultimate picnic snack. Read on to learn step-by-step preparation guide on how to make the ultimate homemade scotch eggs recipe. Scotch eggs can be baked or fried. This is a classic snack recipe for every foodie!
- 8 large eggs (depending on how many scotch eggs you’ll be making)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Nutmeg, powder
- Fresh white breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Pinch of salt
- Boil 6 eggs in a cooking pan, boil until they are done, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel off the shell.
- Put flour into a bowl, add the sugar, baking powder, good pinch of nutmeg, a good pinch of sea and black pepper. Mix together, add butter and little water – mix until well combined and elastic, then divide into 6 parts dough.
- Beat the two remaining eggs in a bowl, set aside. Pour small handful of flour on a flat plate, set aside. Pour breadcrumbs on another flat plate, set aside.
- One by one, take the 6 parts dough and roll out the dough, place an egg in the middle and gently lift all the edges to wrap over the egg, forming into an oval-shaped pattie.
- Roll dough-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, then now it roll in the breadcrumbs for coating. Do this for all the balls.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150C/300F until oil is hot enough.
- Carefully lower the egg-doughs into the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, or until golden and crispy, turning them often to make sure all sides are properly baked. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper towel.
Serve warm with your dip sauce of choice, and enjoy with your faourite cold drink.
See more Food recipes