Follow our handy preparation guide to make this classic Nigerian pastry – meat pie. This is a spectacular Nigerian snack made with dough, minced meat, potato and carrot filling. Roll, turn, fill, repeat. Making your own Nigerian meat pie requires a bit of a time commitment, but the actual steps are quite simple, and the results are worth it. Read on to learn how to make the ultimate meat pie recipe.
Meat Pie dough
- Plain Flour (all-purpose flour) (8 cups)
- 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 450g Butter
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- Salt to taste
Meat Pie filling
- 2 medium Irish or Sweet potatoes
- 1 cooking spoon Vegetable oil
- 400g Ground/minced meat
- 1/2 teaspoon Minced garlic
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 Seasoning cubes (Maggi or Knorr)
- 1 fresh egg
- Salt to taste
- Use hand or food processor to mix together flour salt, sugar, butter blend well – mix until well combined and dough holds together in a soft ball.
- Place the dough on a well-floured surface. Divide it into 2 and roll it out.
- Using a large cup opening or bowl about cut out circles by gently pressing on the dough and releasing it, shaping the meat pie dough. Repeat till all dough has been cut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
- Break an egg into a small plate, whisk and set aside.
filling the pie
- Add little oil to a sauce pan, followed by chopped onion, garlic, chopped carrot. Allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add ground meat and continue cooking for about 10 minutes. Put salt to taste, and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Remove from stove top and let it cool.
Assembling and baking the pie
- Preheat oven on 170 degrees.
- Use spoon to scoop a heaping of the filling into each dough circle.
- Using brush, rub the beaten egg on the inside edge of the cut meat pie dough.
- Fold one part of the dough to meet the other end – press with fingers gently to seal the edges of the meat pie. OR seal by pressing the tines of a fork along the edges of the dough.
- Carefully place each pie on a baking sheet to bake or you may freeze to use later.
- Set the tray in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes. Depending on your kind of oven, you may need to turn the pies over at some point to allow them cook on both sides. Bake until edges are lightly golden brown on the outside.
- Serve with your favourite beverage.
See more Food recipes