Try this delicious Nigerian rice and beans paired with delicious chicken stew and fried plantain. Freshly cooked white rice and plain beans is often best served with moist-meat flavourful stew and fried plantain (dodo). This much-loved Nigerian recipe is perfect for dinner.
- White Rice
- Black eyed beans (or beans of choice)
- Assorted Meats (1kg or more, depending on how big you cooking)
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 big tomatoes, sliced
- 3 scotch bonnet (hot pepper)
- Tomato paste
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken or beef seasoning of your choice
- Curry powder
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi/Knorr)
- Minced ginger and garlic
- Salt to taste
Tip: varieties of the meat adds extra flavour the stew. Feel free to pick and choose what meat to use to create your assorted.
- Put rice in a pot and bring to boil. Then bring beans to boil in a different pot. Now begin preparing stew stuff while rice and beans are being cooked.
- Cleanse and wash the meat thoroughly. Cut the meat into bite sizes and place into a pot. Season with thyme, ginger, garlic, onion, Maggi/Knorr cubes, curry. Add chicken or beef seasoning.
- Bring to heat and boil till the meat its tender. Add salt to taste, and stir every now and then to make sure all the ingredients soak in the meat. Boil the meat with little water, the steam will do the rest.
- Roughly blend together; tomatoes, pepper, onion, ginger and garlic.
- In a big frying pan and heat up on medium, add vegetable oil, put in sliced onions and fry for about 2 mins. Pour in the blended tomato mixture and fry in the oil until the oil has floated to the top.
- Now add cooked meat and stock in the frying pan. Stir and combine well. Taste for seasoning, salt and pepper – adjust if necessary. Allow to cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Don’t add water, let it cook with the meat and juicy water from the meat.
- Dish rice and beans in same plate and top with stew sauce. Can also be topped with Dodo.
You may also like: Beans and Dodo with Smoked Chicken Stew
See more Food recipes