Spice up your curry dish with this delicious Indian recipe – the nadan chicken curry/kerala chicken curry step-by-step recipe. Makes a perfect intimate dinner idea for two. Packed with fragrant Indian spices and hearty tender chicken, this tasty main is served with freshly cooked rice and could be paired with fried plantains.
- Fresh lemon squeeze (optional)
- Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Masala powder
- Pepper powder
- Cleaned and cut chicken
- Spices to roast and grind with enough water
- ½ coriander seeds
- Cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- Pepper corn
- Fennel seeds
- Coconut oil
- 4 big sliced onions
- Ginger garlic paste
- 3/4 cup of thin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red chili (break and remove the seeds)
- 3 to 4 pearl onions sliced thinly
- Fresh curry leaves
Recipe Tips: this is an indian recipe – so its possible that some of the ingredients on there is not available and accessible in our African markets. Please, feel free to improvise, localise, and adapt this recipe to African vibes.
- Marinate chicken with the marinating ingredients and set aside for about 30-40 minutes.
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned under to roast. Once cool, add water and grind to a smooth paste.
Making kerala chicken curry
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add onions and fry till they turn translucent
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off
- Add chicken and fry on a high flame for about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the grinded spice mix. Mix well. Cover and cook stirring in-between.
- Pour the coconut milk. Mix well. When the coconut milk begins to bubble, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Check salt and pepper for taste.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil and fry onions till they pink, add curry leaves and red chili. Stir together and pour into the kerala chicken curry.
- Serve with plain rice.
See more Food recipes