This much-loved pineapple fried rice dish makes a great meal – marinated chicken and prawn with stir-fried vegetables and rice, topped off with pineapple chunks. Use this step-by-step recipe guide to stir together this pineapple fried rice for a quick and easy dinner for two.
for 2 servings
- 1 pineapple
- Vegetable oil
- 1 chicken breast, diced
- ½ kg prawn (fresh or frozen)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 ½ cups basmati rice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- Mixed bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup green beans
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Soak rice for 5 mins in hot water and rinse until clear. This would remove excess starch, if you desire.
- Use a sharp knife to carefully cut the pineapple in half lengthways. Then, cut around the edge of the pineapple. Do not cut through the skin.
- Scoop out the pineapple core with a spoon, and slice into cubes. Set both the pineapple cubes and skin aside.
- Boil rice with little salt for about 8 minutes. Drain water and set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in in a large wok over a medium heat. Stir fry the chicken and prawns with thyme in a hot wok. Fry until both are just cooked. Remove chicken and prawns from the wok and set aside.
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil in the wok.
- Add the garlic and onion, and stir until fragrant.
- Add in the bell pepper, sprig onion, carrot, green beans, ginger, turmeric, salt, cayenne and season. Stir fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, diced pineapples, chicken and prawns. Add in the soy sauce and stir until everything is well mixed together. Allow to simmer 3-5minutes.
- Serve in the empty pineapple halves. Topped with skewered prawns, if desired.
See more Food recipes