Healthy and packed with rich flavours – these skewered well spiced king Prawns makes great comfort food with fried yam. Here’s the recipe below. Enjoy!
- Raw king prawns, peeled and deveined with tails intact
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Hot pepper, powder
- Grated ginger and garlic
- Ground coriander
- Salt and seasoning cubes
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Tuber of Yam (desired quantity)
- Vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- Salt to taste
Tip: be careful when adding the yam into the heated oil to avoid splattering and accidents.
- In a large bowl, add lime juice, olive oil, salt, seasoning cube, coriander, hot peppers, ginger and garlic – whisk until well combined. Add the prawns and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for marinate 30 minutes.
- While the prawns marinate, peel the yam, rinse and slice yam into disc or rectangular chunks. Place yam chips in a bowl. add little salt and toss the contents to distribute the salt.
- Pour enough oil in deep pan and heat up. Once oil is heated, add a few yam chips and fry (fry in batches), leaving enough room in frying pan for flipping the chips. Fry yam on all sides until crisp or slightly browned. Remove the chips and place in paper towels to absorb the oil. Then fry the new batch.
- Done with yam frying? Then preheat a chargrill or barbecue grill on high heat. Thread spiced prawns onto each skewer. Cook skewers for 4 minutes, turning occasionally, or until cooked thoroughly and golden.
Alternatively, you can use a deep fryer, pour enough vegetable oil into the fryer and preheat the oil to 170°C (as per the instructions manual of your deep fryer).
Serve prawn skewers together with lemon wedges and pepper sauce. Enjoy!