Jamaican Steamed Fish is a Healthy delicious meal of fish prepared with vegetables and spices. In this post, we’ll show you how to prepare this wonderful delicacy. Fish lovers, quickly add this to your favourite homemade recipes. Enjoy!
The key is to keep it easy and make it delicious – always use fresh ingredients. Take your time to choose the best fresh fish.
- 2 small whole croakers (or your choice of whole fish or fillet)
- Clean, wash and season fish with salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- Medium onion, sliced
- Large Tomato, sliced
- Chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon bouillon cubes or powder or liquid
- Chopped vegetables (carrots, green & red sweet pepper)
- 1 lime or lemon
- Minced garlic
- Grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- Mint leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
You might also be interested in: 10 Popular Delicacies From Across Africa
Tip: Spice the fish before adding to the pot; you can do it minutes or hours before, or marinate the fish overnight. This adds extra flavor.
- Rinse, drain, and drain fish carefully – rub with lemon or lime.
- Place fish in a large bowl or saucepan and season with salt, garlic, ginger, thyme, and pepper.
- Mix with spoon or with hands until all well coated, set aside in the fridge and marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- In cooking pan, heat butter or oil on medium-high; add garlic, paprika, thyme, all spice and onions. Fry quickly for about 2 minutes or less.
- Add vegetables; (potatoes/yam/plantain if using any), add 2 cups fish stock or seafood broth. Place on cooker, cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place fish into the boiling fish stock/sauce and add, tomato, mint leaves and hot pepper (adjust to taste).
- Gently stir fish with stock, cover pan, reduce heat to Medium and cook for 5 minutes (depending on size of fish).
Serve with fresh cooked rice, yam or just enjoy the steam fish with your favorite drink!
Also check out 6 Incredible Health Benefits of Ginger and Garlic