Okra (okro) soup is a very healthy delicacy containing vital nutrients for the general well-being of the body. Here’s one of the various ways to make a tasty Nigerian okra soup recipe with fish. This is a fun Nigerian dish with rich nutrients – a favorite among many. Enjoy!
- Fresh Okra (finely chopped or use grater)
- Fresh/iced fish (Mackerel/Titus)
- Dry Fish (stock fish, local dried fish)
- Palm oil
- Seasoning cubes (Maggi or Knorr)
- Hot pepper
- Ground crayfish
- Nigerian pumpkin leaves (or spinach)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Tip: Clean and boil the stockfish for about 20 minutes. Leave it to soak in the hot water for about 2 hours. Then use that time to clean and get ready the fresh fish and shrimps.
- Place pot on medium heat, add very little water, cover and bring to a boil.
- Add the fresh fish, shrimps and dried fish to the cooked stock fish. Add onion and seasoning, and cook till done. Use little water, this is to make the soup thick.
- Add palm oil (enough to colour), crayfish, salt and pepper. Stir and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the okra and cook till you notice the okra start to draw (about 5 minutes to avoid overcooking the okra).
- Now add the vegetable and shrimps. Stir well and taste – adjust seasoning if necessary. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with Garri (eba). OR serve with your favorite kind of fufu (swallow).
See more Food recipes