The ideal accompaniment to an African feast – this rice dish is jollof recipe made with a twist. This incredibly delicious jollof coconut rice step-by-step recipe combines hearty jollof seasoning and spices with creamy coconut milk and veggies dressing. Goat meat broth works wonderfully in this dish.
- Brown rice (or white rice)
- Curry powder
- Coconut milk
- Goat meat stock or water
- Garlic and ginger, chopped
- Vegetable oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, sliced
- Seasoning cubes/powder (Maggi/Knorr)
- Tomatoes paste
- Fresh tomatoes
- Fresh hot peppers (scotch bonnet)
- Sweet peppers, chopped (red, green, yellow)
- Salt to taste
- start by blending the fresh tomatoes, fresh peppers, together with one onion into a smooth paste. Used the paste to prepare the tomato stew/sauce that you’ll use for the cooking.
- Add the vegetable oil to a large pot, place on a medium heat. Add sliced onion, minced garlic and stir-fry.
- Now, the blended mixture, season and spice with seasoning cubes, curry powder and salt to taste. Then cover and allow to fry till its well-cooked and combined – roughly 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash and cut the goat meat (or any meat of your preference). Place the pieces in a pot; add little water, just enough to cover the meat. Season with onion slices, thyme, seasoning cubes. Cook until the meat is tender and tasty.
- Drain out the meat stock and set aside. Add some of the stew, stir and combine with the meat to make it juicy-moist, add the chopped sweet pepper/bell pepper with the meat! Set aside.
- While the meat is cooking, wash the rice and rinse with cold water, wash thoroughly to rid it of the starch, drain the water, add new water and parboil. Drain water and set aside.
- Add coconut milk, the meat stock and stew in a big pot and bring to boil on medium heat. Then add the parboiled rice to it, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add some salt and taste for seasoning and flavour – adjust spices and seasoning if necessary.
- Cover the pot and allow to cook on medium heat, this way the rice does not burn before the water dries up. But also ensures that all the water dries up by the time the rice is cooked.Your coconut rice is ready.
- Serve with the goat meat or meat or choice, and sweet peppers veggies.
See more Food recipes