There’s a lot to love about this simple, yet delicious recipe for slow cooker Texan-style pulled pork (especially its rich flavours). The hand-trimmed and locally sourced pork cuts from Checkers are what makes this recipe the ultimate treat. The ultimate slow-cooked feast guaranteed to be your new weekend favourite.
- 1 x 1 kg pork belly, boneless
- Olive oil
For the rub:
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Maldon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) cayenne pepper
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the sliders:
- 8 mini burger buns
- 2 heaped tbsp. (30 ml) mayonnaise
- Large handful of lettuce; shredded
- ½ cup (125 ml) Simple Truth Smokey BBQ Sauce
- 6 gherkins; thinly sliced
- Sriracha sauce (optional), for serving
- To make the pulled pork, preheat the oven to 140 °C.
- Place all rub ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
- Drizzle pork belly with a little olive oil and smear rub onto both sides of the pork.
- Place pork onto a roasting tray, skin side up and roast in oven for about 2-3 hours or until pork belly is cooked and soft enough to pull. You may need to cover pork with foil if you feel it’s browning too quickly.
- Remove from oven and using two forks, pull the pork. Discard some of the fat if your pork is a little too fatty.
- To make the sliders, halve the burger buns and smear the bottom half with some mayonnaise.
- Top with some shredded lettuce, pulled pork, sliced gherkins and a good drizzle of smokey BBQ sauce. If you are looking for extra spice, drizzle with a little sriracha sauce.
- Place the other half of the bun on top and serve.
Be sure to pin and share the photo below to save this tasty recipe for later!
See more Food recipes