Looking for healthy dinner ideas? Try this delicious Caribbean-style steamed whole red snapper recipe for a healthy and low calorie dinner. This recipe is fun, easy, full of flavour, most importantly healthy, and can be enjoyed together with family and friends. Alternatively, mackerel, sea bass, tilapia, sea bream, sardines and trout can all be good cooked whole for healthy meals for dinner, in the absence of red snapper. Whole fish dishes offer much more flavours because the head and the bones add depth to the sauce. Learn how to cook the delicious Jamaican dish with our easy healthy dinner guide. A completely fullfilling Caribbean dish!
for 4 servings
- 4 whole red snapper, scaled and cleaned
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon all spice
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3 whole scotch bonnet pepper, adjust to taste
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Canned diced tomatoes, 400g
- 4 cups fish stock, or vegetable stock
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- The main secret to this dish is using fresh fish. So, wash and clean the whole fish with vinegar, lime or lemon. Rinse fish carefully and drain.
- Season fish with soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, oregano, thyme and black pepper. Mix until fish are well coated with season, set aside marinate for about 30 minutes, while you get the sauce ready.
- In a large cooking pan, add oil and bring to boil on a medium-high heat. Add garlic, paprika, thyme, onion, all spice and green onions. Sautee for about two minutes.
- Add potatoes if using any, otherwise, add carrot and bell pepper, and the 4 cups of stock/broth. Cover pot and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the fish to the into the pot and add, tomato, and scotch bonnet pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste, if necessary.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, spoon stock over the fish in between to cook all sides of the fish.
- Serve with rice, bread, or simply just eat it as main. So delicious and healthy.
See more Food recipes