These crispy crunchy goodies are full of flavours, and packed with protein power. Makes a great start to the day, or lunch one the go. A satisfying comfort food, and the ultimate picnic snack. Read on to learn step-by-step preparation guide on how to make the ultimate homemade scotch eggs recipe. Scotch eggs can be baked or fried. This is a classic snack recipe for every foodie! Read on and follow our handy prep guide to learn how to make your own scotch egg recipe. These tasty scotch eggs are easy to make and taste as good as they look.
- 8 large eggs (depending on how many scotch eggs you’ll be making)
- All-purpose flour, as needed
- Nutmeg, powder
- Fresh white breadcrumbs, as needed
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste (if you desire)
- Boil 6 eggs in a cooking pan, boil until they are done, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled, carefully peel off the shell.
- Put flour into a bowl, add the sugar, good pinch of nutmeg, a good pinch of sea and black pepper. Mix together, add butter and little water – mix until well combined and elastic, then divide into 6 parts dough.
- Beat the two remaining eggs in a bowl, set aside. Pour small handful of flour on a flat plate, set aside. Pour breadcrumbs on another flat plate, set aside.
- One by one, take the 6 parts dough and roll out the dough, place an egg in the middle and gently lift all the edges to wrap over the egg, forming into an oval-shaped pattie.
- Roll dough-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into the beaten egg, then now it roll in the breadcrumbs for coating. Do this for all the balls.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150C/300F until oil is hot enough.
- Carefully lower the egg-doughs into the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, or until golden and crispy, turning them often to make sure all sides are properly baked. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper towel.
- Serve warm with your dip sauce of choice, and faourite drink.
See more Food recipes
Have a recipe of your own to share? Submit your recipe here.